CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, April 15, 2012

Sticker stories, fish, and Target.

I have a drawer in my desk that is FULL of nothing but stickers!!! Something that I started doing this year with my kinders is Sticker Stories. I give the students a sheet of stickers, and let them pick up to four stickers to use in their writing.This really helps reinforce character, setting, and main idea. Here is a bulletin board from a few months ago:






Here is an example of one story. She wrote, "The ladybugs are sliding. The butterflies are building a sandcastle. The ladybug are riding a bicycle. The bee is swinging." I love how far my students have come with their writing! :)









We are constantly writing and illustrating in Kindergarten to prepare ourselves for first grade, so here is another writing assignment we did the other day (Some fish are...):





Some fish are mean. Some fish are nice. Some fish are dotted. Some fish are little.

Finally, I found these cute flower sorting divider things at the dollar section at target ,and couldn't pass them up! I just don't know what I want to do them. I have four, so enough for each table...AND I have 5 or 6 students at each table, so there are enough "petal" sections for each student! Ideas??




5 comments:

  1. Yay, I am your newest follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kayla... I love the name of your blog! I am happy to be your newest follower!

    Does your flower thingy flip over and have sections you can put stuff in? If it does, you could have tables work to earn warm fuzzies(pom pom balls) for each section. The table or tables at the end of the day could add a marble or something to the class jar. I like for everyone to work for the same goal that way no one is getting left out and everyone benefits from the kind and helpful acts EVERYONE in the School Family does.

    I can also see using the flower thingy is a reading group with a vis-a-vis and word families. You could make words or even clip clothes pins on to make words....make sense? =)

    I would love for you to come visit me when you get the chance. I have lots and lots of *freebies*!


    Heather
    Heather's Heart

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for following!!! Actually, the flower is sectional- it's just hard to tell unless you look carefully at the picture. The first thing I thought of doing with it was word families. I like the idea of using it to benefit each student, though! We have "table marbles" for good table behavior, but using each section for each individual student would definitely be beneficial! Thanks for the idea. I'm heading over to your blog right now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Kayla! I'm your newest follower! Thanks for the award! I'm so excited to share it!!

    I've used these little guys for sorting money. I will put dot stickers with coin values on them or even the coin word around the outside containers with plenty of different coins in the middle section and students have to sort the coins and place them in the correct section. Good for coin recognition!

    Love your blog!

    Mandi
    MOORE Fun In Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for following me back!! I'm new to blogging, so I'm still trying to get the hang of it. Hoping to spend sometime this summer (only 17 days away for us!) understanding it a bit more.

    This WOULD be great for sorting money! However, we have transitioned into using the Common Core standards, and money is no longer a standard in Kindergarten...therfore we don't teach it anymore. There's a great song on youtube about money from HarryKindergarten, though! Can't remember the title of it...

    ReplyDelete